City Impact is a mobile portal that pulls together all of Metro Vancouver’s mobile applications and mobile web pages in one place for quick retrieval of city information and engagement with regional services and open data. The City Talk application among others is included and allows users to let the whole city and fellow citizens know about events, user contributed news and other regional issues by posting notes associated with locations. Regional municipalities can use City Talk to send out location-based notes to citizens.
KEYWORDS: citizen engagement, open data, mobile portal, YVR, Metro
AUDIENCE: Citizens, visitors
PARTICIPANTS: Cities, community organizations, businesses, citizens,
PROJECT LEAD: TBD (currently Mike Blackstock, Urban Opus)
PROJECT STATUS: Under development – demo site
Urban Opus Rationale
Providing harmonious, user-driven compilation of independent mobile information and services offered by municipal governments is an obvious value-added service for Urban Opus, and an effective way to aggregate data streams in the Urban Opus Datahub.
City Impact is a mobile portal that pulls together a city’s mobile applications, and mobile web pages called mini-apps or modules in one place for quick retrieval of city information and interaction with city services. It includes web based mobile applications as well as a mobile application portal, both native and web versions for iOS and Android.
- City Talk – The City Talk application allows users to let the city and fellow citizens know about events, user contributed news and other issues in the city by posting notes associated with locations. The city can also use City Talk to send out location-based notes to citizens.
- Parklog – Check out the parks near you with Parklog! Check-in and view all the photos and comments created by others.
- City Tour – Take a tour around your city with the tour app. Get directions, information about the attractions, photos, videos and more!
- Bike Rack – Want to know where the nearest bike rack is? Use this app to find out! You can also report and view the locations of where bike racks are full and of stolen bikes.
- Street Trees – Ever wanted to know details about the tree that is growing on your front porch? Now you can! The Street Trees app takes over 100,000 trees from the Vancouver open data catalogue and places them on a map. Crowd sourced tree location is also supported.
- and many more…
City Impact app can be deployed within six (6) months:
- Identification of Partner/Host organization
- Clarification of region-specific requirements
- Identification of development partner
- Prototype implementation and testing
- Theming and construction
- Alpha-level app deployment
About Urban Opus
Urban Opus is Canada’s first ‘smart city’ industry cluster. The new consortium serves as trusted broker for innovative projects and organizations seeking to employ data to enhance the urban experience. In great cities of the world, the consummate wellbeing of people and communities is being inspired by data. Join us to make that happen!
Contact: David Vogt, Executive Director, Urban Opus – email@example.com